Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Disappointment

We arrived in the USA with hurricane Isabel in 2003 and soon after that it was Thanksgiving and Halloween. Where we come from pumpkins are food and I did not know that you cannot eat a Halloween pumpkin. I was excited to find this beautiful big pumpkin in the supermarket and I paid $5 for it. I took it home and I said to my wife:”Guess what! I found us a nice pumpkin!.” We cut the pumpkin, put some of it in the freezer and my wife cooked some of this pumpkin for us to eat, but what a disappointment, it was not edible. You couldn't eat it. I was so disappointed to learn that these pumpkins are only for show, only for Halloween. I was amazed to learn how much money is spent every year on a pagan festival, on Halloween where back in Africa people are dying of hunger, where pumpkins are planted for food and in this wonderful country that we came to it is for a pagan festival, for Halloween. Will God excuse us if we waste so much money on pagan festivals? I even see Halloween parties advertised at churches. What kind of churches are these? Pagan churches? Will God leave us unpunished if we have become conformed to the world and if we waste what He has given us on pagan festivals, worthless pumpkins? May Jesus bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment